Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Virginia Girl in the Civil War

 

A Virginia Girl in the Civil War, 1861-1865:
Being a Record of the Actual Experiences of the Wife
of a Confederate Officer:

Electronic Edition.    Ed. by Myrta Lockett Avary

 
"THIS history was told over the tea-cups. One winter, in the South, I had for my neighbor a gentle, little brown-haired lady, who spent many evenings at my fireside, as I at hers, where with bits of needlework in our hands we gossiped away as women will. I discovered in her an unconscious heroine, and her Civil War experiences made ever an interesting topic. Wishing to share with others the reminiscences she gave me, I seek to present them here in her own words. Just as they stand, they are, I believe, unique, possessing at once the charm of romance and the veracity of history. They supply a graphic, if artless, picture of the social life of one of the most interesting and dramatic periods of our national existence."
 
Read the rest of this electronic book at http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/avary/avary.html
 
© This work is the property of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text. Call number E487 .V57 1903 (UNC-CH, Davis Library)
The electronic edition is a part of the UNC-CH digitization project, Documenting the American South, or, The Southern Experience in 19th-century America. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment